Monday 25 February 2013

New stage

In 19 days time (perhaps less by the time most people read this) I will be embarking on a new adventure. I'm racing the ASBA Cape Epic with Collyn Ahart. This will involve a number of firsts for me:
  • my first stage race
  • my first race in a team
  • my first race in South Africa
  • my first visit to South Africa


I can't work out how I feel about it at the moment. I'm excited and nervous all at once. I've been asked what specific preparation I've been doing and the answer to that is not much. To train for multiple marathon races does not involve much more than training for one marathon and since that is my focus for the start of this year I've definitely been doing that.


I have also collecting experience from everyone I know who has done a stage race. Here are the best bits so far:


"On one side of the medical tent is the queue for rehydration drips and on the other side the queue for the bum doctor - you want to avoid both"


"Always take earplugs if you're staying in the camp"


"After a while it just become like posting food into your mouth"


" If you need laundry doing, or bikes fixing remember everyone is open to bribes"

" You will hate your partner at some point during the race, so try to remember this and move on"

No comments:

Post a Comment